Friday, February 25, 2005

"I just flipped it over and made a copy...

... that makes it a new piece." No, this isn't a direct quote from any real person, it just seems so prevalent these days. Let's get this straight.
1. You cannot rip off my work.
2. You cannot change my work to make it yours (see #1 above)
3. Making a new work from my work doesn't make it your work. (see #1 above)
4. Giving me credit for the work you stole to make your new work does not give you a free pass. (see #1 above)
5. Calling it 'sampling", "influenced by", or any other bullshit term does not make it yours or give you the right to take it. (see #1 above)

Good lord, professors should know this stuff. You wonder if this guy ever dinged a student for 'plagiarising' some writing for a class assignment.

What about not taking my intellectual property without my permission is so damn hard to understand. And why do we continuously turn away from this... Confront the bastards and make them stop.


Rant over... back to work.

CBS4 Denver: 'Original' Churchill Art Piece Creates Controversy: "Churchill made the serigraph in question in 1981 and called it 'Winter Attack.' He printed 150 copies and sold one of them to Duke Prentup for about $100.

'I have enjoyed them ever since, immensely,' Prentup said. 'They're, obviously, up in my house.'

But last month came a stunning revelation. As Prentup flipped through a book of illustrations by renowned artist Thomas E. Mails, he found an artwork of striking similarity."

No comments: