Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Leica M8 - Sweeet

I have always loved the way certain cameras felt in my hands. I think they change the shot. I left square format a long time ago and went to the 6x7 preferring the vertical and horizontal image. It was almost instantly that I desired the square again. Not because of the mechanics, but how the square makes me think about an image differently. I have lots of landscape cameras, so having a square made me look at the edges differently.

I think, and preach, that it is a great creativity booster to grab another camera and go make images with it. Make images you don't usually make with a format you don't usually shoot. It is fun and it is stimulating. I do like stepping back and working with a slower acting image machine. Like my RB's, or view cameras.
Leica M8 Revisited: "On all the forums everybody is busting each other’s b***’s trying to prove their Mark 7 dslr is just as good as the L-99 digital back, or vice versa.

That’s fine for camera salesman and camera reps who have an honest agenda to move product, but my goal is not to sell cameras, it’s photography.

There is a difference in how a camera or a camera/back allows you to work and they all have their place, though how we feel about our tools is just as important as how we interact with a subject.

Digital has changed the way we work and the expense of the systems has changed the way we invest in our cameras. It seems everyone wants a do it all system, probably because Canon came out so good, so fast with a digital camera and in so many ways the Canons and the New Nikons cover a lot of territory. You can see medium format going the same way. Some of this is good, but nothing is better than options."

No comments: