Monday, August 17, 2009

Shutterbug: Master Interview; Jerry Uelsmann

SB: It seems you were assembling your education like you assemble your images. You were synthesizing elements of understanding from the art world and the photographic world. And at that time many people still saw photography as a craft, not an experimental art form.

JU: Well, your comment is right on. That’s exactly it. There’s actually a quote in Weston’s Daybooks, where he goes to a museum and he sees something that he really likes and thinks, “God, that’s something I could use.” He thought that you use those things that are by rights of understanding yours. So as various concepts were introduced to me, I would think, “This is incredible.” Minor was the first role model I had who truly did no commercial photography. He did creative photography and taught and then he hung exhibits. I didn’t know people like that existed before. But I did, as you mentioned, bring together various aspects of my educational encounters to create whoever I am, my identity as an image-maker.

Untitled - 1997

Jerry Uelsmann was one of the photographers that made me want to make images. After I saw some of his images, I got really serious in the darkroom. I didn't try to do the collage thing, but the discipline that it took to make prints that had the kind of depth and light was truly a challenge.

Posted via web from Now This is Cool...

No comments: