Monday, January 25, 2010

And You Call Yourself a Professional? « Photofocus

I guess common sense isn't as common as it should be. Scott's article is well written and is easy to follow. It lays out the arguement against cheap photographers very well. I have nothing to add to this but "Thanks, Scott."
And You Call Yourself a Professional? « Photofocus:

"Now there is a group of cheapo wedding photographers attacking me for taking this position. They are threatening me with everything from un-following me on Twitter – (how will I go on?) to assault. That’s right, some of these fine citizens have threatened my life. Another sent me an email saying he was coming after me and would go for my eyes first. These people are sick and they use the Internet like a weapon. Because they are either too lazy, or untalented to learn how to do this job right, they feel like my call for reasonable pricing at the low-end of the market is a personal attack on them. They feel badly (at least privately) about their situation. They know they aren’t serving the client, themselves or the industry, but rather than do something about it, they try to make me into the devil. Well it won’t work. This isn’t the first time I’ve received death threats. It’s a creepy world but I’ve survived worse. I’ve been in this business for more than three decades and I’ll be around long after all of them have moved on to their next job asking that ever important question, “Would you like fries with that?” I won’t stop trying to defend the industry I love, even if it offends a few jealous Internet trolls along the way. I have very close and special friends who feed their families in the wedding and portrait market. I don’t intend to stand by and watch their livelihoods destroyed by these people. If these folks simmer down and take time to ask for my help, I’ll offer it gladly. I don’t want to see them devalue their clients, themselves or our industry. I’ll help them even though they are acting like idiots. I love the photography industry and spend most of my days trying to do everything I can to help photographers. And I will continue to do that no matter how many people attack me, listen to my podcast, read this site, attend my workshops, buy my books, collect my prints or follow me on Twitter."
BTW... I feel the same way about Microshitstock too!

No comments: