Tuesday, November 09, 2010

An Open Letter To A Local Photographer: A Personal Dialogue on what was once called Reality...

I’ve spent quite a bit of time looking at myself lately, determining that this mentality will cause all of us to eventually self-destruct. As hurtful as this letter comes across at face value, we can never change others. We can only change ourselves and grow on a personal level as photographers, artists and business people. I’m finding out it’s not about the other people though. It’s about you and I. I’ve made the mistakes. I’ve followed the sickening trends early on and unsuspectingly listened to the masses. But I’m the only one who can do what is right for me. I need to remind myself that coming into my own isn’t an overnight process. I’ve spent thousands and thousands of hours trying to find my voice and place within the industry. I have yet to even scratch the surface and I still have thousands of hours ahead of me.

But since reality has been marginalized - partly due to the ability to reach everyone with the tiniest minutia of information without really having anything to say and the increasing importance given to naval gazing as a way of life.

In a society that has begun to lose the ability to discern between reality and fantasy, we have seen the introduction of the 'cult of personality'.

I do not know this photographer, but he seems to be discovering that being 'all that' means little if the guy looking back in the mirror doesn't believe it.

Posted via email from Now This is Cool...

No comments: