Friday, April 08, 2011

ELIZABETH AVEDON: JESSICA HINES: My Brother's War ( A remarkable story and book... originally conceived as a portfolio for review.

The box stood packed away high on a closet shelf for over twenty-five years. Packed by my mother, it contained the letters, photographs, medals, and important papers that had once belonged to my deceased brother, Gary. It was serendipitous that I came to open the box and read the letters. Not having read them since I was a child, the time period was brought back to life for me. It was as if I could hear my brother speaking – it was as if he were still alive and I was listening to him talk about his life.

I haven't seen the Vietnam Memorial.
Even typing the words makes me tremble a bit.

I have seen photographs of it.
It seems to me to be one of the most beautiful and poignant memorials ever conceived.

I started over to DC a few years ago while visiting the Baltimore area.

Turned around about 30 miles away. Couldn't stop shaking.

I have to see it... I do.

Going to DC in September and I will be brave and I will go. Perhaps to find a name or two. Perhaps to sit from afar the first time.

I will most likely go alone.

But I will go.

This time.

Posted via email from Now This is Cool...

No comments: