Thursday, April 07, 2011

On the idea of photographic education. Maximum bling?

But this idea of proficiency is incidental to the true nature of the art of photography.  And that is the attempt to make images that reach out and touch another person emotionally or intellectually without necessary regard for commerce.

I must say that this post touches on a lot of things I think about on a daily basis.

Teaching requires a symbiotic relationship between a student and the teacher. The connection must be one of give and take... not demonstrable cloning, but an awakening in the student that ability that was there all the time.

Teaching one to 'see' is far harder than to teach someone how to 'do'... and we see few tangible rewards as we are reaching into a possible abyss of talent. Tangibles are so important.

We measure by tangibles. 2+2=4. Pi equals... whatever that number is.

A teacher of tools teaches to measurable standards. It is easier to do and commensurate with what is needed to become an artist.

I cannot play jazz on my sax until I know how to play the sax. My teacher that shepards/cajoles/drags me through the countless hours of scales and modes and blues scales and changes may not be the most creative player ever.

She is teaching me the tool. I will learn the music by practicing the instrument. I will become a player by mastering my own sound... one that may only be released after a full and solid background in the instrument itself.

Every one can learn to play the sax. Every one can learn to use a camera, even in the analog world. Developing film and post processing are techniques that can be learned and tweeked.

Seeing an image developing in your head and being able to bring it to fruition is the goal.

The challenge is to find ways to have people see that image in their heads beforehand. Jazz players are thinking 2-3-6 bars ahead. They KNOW what they are going to be playing before they get there and are planning for it even while playing something else.

Vision is seeing that finished image before pulling the camera from the bag.

Not sure it can be taught, or even that it should be taught. It must be lived and loved and experienced... as each will come to it in their own way.

Good post, my friend.

Posted via email from Now This is Cool...

No comments: