Tuesday, April 03, 2012

"No Pictures Allowed": How markets get it wrong. Telling your customers you think they are thieves may not be a good idea

Apparently, I broke a very strict rule of "no photography" while looking to make my purchases. Do you understand why this rule is in place? I'm going to guess that it's because a competitor can walk into the store, take a picture of a unique piece of furniture and soon be knocking it off? Could there be another reason? Maybe I can price compare? Take that picture over to a competitor and see if they have a similar piece (or the same one) for a lower price? Neither reason seems to make any sense, because the general sentiment of the statement "no photography" screams: "we don't trust you!"

Think about that the next time you see a photographer's website with a long "We gonna hunt you down like a dog" admonition against 'stealing' any images on it.

Sigh.

Of course we don't want copyright theft - and I WILL hunt them down. And I warn against the taking with a simple copyright statement. But having to have someone click an 'I accept" button at the open screen?

Yawn... most of the time the images aren't really worth taking anyway.

No comments: