Friday, May 11, 2012

A chaotic and fun new book on being creative: Looks like some fun exercises.

I’m hesitant to get too specific about the assignments I liked best, because I don’t think offering one or two or six examples will capture why I enjoyed the book. Reinventing a sport, smashing and rebuilding a piano, discussing an artwork you don’t like but have to admit is good, “colorizing” a Wikipedia entry with words, expressing a theory of painting in the form of a culinary recipe, spending one hour with a single piece of art and recording your thoughts: that’s a random and slapdash sampling. Let's just say that even if you don't like the particular instances I liked, there's probably still material here you'll find engaging.

Keeping the mind sharp is wonderful exercise for anyone in the creative business.

No comments: