Monday, June 25, 2012

"Photo Talk Is Cheap" Photography is hard work... and expecting anything less is going to lead to disappointment

I attribute some of my success in the photography business to the fact that I have gained and lost lots or weight in my life. The discipline necessary to lose weight is very similar to the disciple you need as a self-employed photographer. As an example, when I was 20 years old, I lost 60 lbs over a 6 month period by eating a perfect diet and running 5 days a week. I also got straight As in college that semester and moved up the ladder at work. It was an eye-opening experience to a kid who previously hadn’t really understood what having self-confidence meant and who also didn't really have a clear goal of what he wanted to do when he grew up.

After that experience, I learned that I could do just about anything as long as I made sacrifices and painfully dedicated myself to doing what I set out to do. Yes, I said painfully. If you don’t understand what I mean by painfully, it means with suffering, difficulty, agony, and actual pain. The same kind of painful dedication that triathletes, marathon runners, and so many other athletes know so well. But it’s a pain of love, not the kind of pain that comes when you have to do something you hate doing. It’s a pain that has a great reward.

No comments: