Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Photographer Rodney Smith on Competition, Baseball and Life as a Photographer

Despite my mother’s intentions, by High School, I had lost most of any feeling for playing supervised sports. Coaches and I did not get along. I was too competitive. And I didn’t want to compete with anyone I might beat. Ironically, I can be very competitive with myself and I allow myself privately to win on occasion. Photography is perfect. I am all alone except for the help and comfort of those I choose to have around me. I have never seen another photographer work, nor did I want to. I have never assisted for any other photographer, nor did I want to. I obviously wanted to be alone, competing with myself, and success in the world of photography. But never directly competing against another individual.

No comments: