Tuesday, September 04, 2012

"Why Success Is 1,000 Yards Away"

My favorite example of this is from the King himself, Elvis Presley. Elvis demanded his dressing room always be exactly 1,000 yards away from the concert stage. He used the time it took him to walk 1,000 yards to the stage to get ready. He would increase his focus, build his confidence, and have himself in the right frame of mind before he took the stage to perform.

Elvis was one of the greatest and most charismatic performers of all time. So much so that he’s still one of the top earning celebrities, despite being dead for 35 years.

It doesn’t matter what you’re doing in your business, taking time to be mentally focused and have the right energy is important. Don’t just sit down and start blogging. Get ready first. Don’t just stand up and speak at an event, take time to get ready first.

I mentally prepare myself for shooting.

There is a time that I make for myself to decompress and just breathe. I look at the location or chat with the subject expecting the image to be revealed before I start.

And you must EXPECT it to be revealed. That is key.

Quiet contemplation works for me to shed the reality of the day, and find the space where I can make something that I want to make.

Usually I want those around me to sort of do their thing, and let me just look and feel the shoot. I am not a prima-donna about it, but I do ask to be left to my devices to find a few moments to think.

What do you do to prepare for a shoot?

No comments: