Saturday, July 02, 2005

"Outrageous" ... that's what he said...(part 1)

I have been working with a professional service provider in the creative industry (sorry to be oblique, but I am concealing identity here). He came to see me with a very interesting attitude. "What can I do to get through to the a--h---- that I am the one they need to hire. My work is better than so-and-so's and I am losing business like crazy."

I have been aware of this person for many years - solid creative with a good reputation as far as the work is concerned. Also heard the words "primadonna", "arrogant" and, even more colorful terms used. I was a little taken aback by his demeanor, and considered passing on him. But I like a challenge so we talked about the structure of how he got jobs.

"I haven't really had to market much," he said, "I have so many clients -- seems referral methods are working for me." Except, they aren't now, or he wouldn't be in my office.

I explained my views that marketing is not a noun, it is a verb. It is action. Actionable-action, taken everyday, every moment. "Brand", "Story" whatever, is a constant action that slowly builds an awareness of what the creative does, what they can do, and how they can help make a project better. And not just the creative product. The overall experience of the creative's involvement is vitally important. He seemed to understand but with some reluctance.

We talked about his portfolio (has one, but it is outdated), web site (has one, but it is outdated), direct mail campaign (nope), email marketing (nope)... "I hate screwing around on the internet" he said grumpily.

We finished after three hours of interviewing. He left feeling pretty confident that I was going to be able to help him. As was I.

I typed a simple outline for what I thought needed to be done.
1. New portfolio - new images - NEW...
2. New website (maybe a simple blog design with some portfolios... easily updated)
3. Direct mail campaign to 200 selected clients with link-back to website material
4. An "editorial' schedule for updating the portfolio, web site, photoblog and more (of course keeping a busy schedule in mind)
5. A look at some totally different markets for his work. Fine art, stock and more.

A few more ideas that help to create lots of buzz and activity around his work were part of it as well. And the whole package was inexpensive - requiring more time and planning than money. But planning is key to keeping it rolling with limited intrusion.

His response... "That's outrageous... I don't have time to do all this crap. I just need to get those jerks to hire me." I smiled and told him with a very authorative voice, "If you don't do this crap, the jerks are gonna forget all about you. And you wont have to worry about getting more work, you will be looking for a job."

He left a little pissed (a bit at me and some at himself), but agreed to read the pages I had printed out for him, and to visit some of the sites I had noted. I will keep you posted as to his final decision. (BTW, he knows this is being blogged, and he knows that I will keep name confidential. Didn't want any of you to think I would do this behind a clients back.)

No comments: