Saturday, June 09, 2007

JoeMullins shares his view of Stock Photography

Well... love him or hate him, this is a well written piece from the perspective of someone on the front lines doing the work. Personally, I think he hits a nerve... and that's cool. (Hat Tip: A
JoeMullins.com » Stock Photography: "Being a child of the internet, I can’t really get on the bus, despite being a photographer myself. Let me just get this out of the way right up front: A lot of photographers are assholes. There I said it. Many charge an insane amount of money for their images with little to no regard for their customers and justify it with claims of great technical skill and the aesthetic sense of an artist. They claim value in a product that in many cases the customer just doesn’t see, then whine and complain about how uneducated and simple their customers are."
I think he misses a few of the realities (5K and a few months of learning ain't gonna make you Jerry Jacka, and thinking it is silly. I don't think he was trying to say that, however.) But he has some really salient points about changing markets, the new world order in photography and dinosaurs.

Read it.

No comments: