Thursday, October 25, 2007

Literary Style By The Numbers: Interesting Stats

This is an interesting post.
It suggests short sentences and simple words.
I found it super interesting.
I did.
I mean, uh, I do.
Seriously, if you are a closet writer like me, this is really a fascinating post. Indubitably!
stevenberlinjohnson.com: Literary Style By The Numbers: "So I spent a few hours last week plugging in the numbers for my books, as well as a few other authors that I assembled in an entirely unscientific fashion: Malcolm Gladwell, Steven Pinker, Seth Godin, Christopher Hitchens -- and then, just to see how far I'd come, I threw in my intellectual (and, sadly, stylistic) heroes from my early twenties, the post-structuralist legends Michel Foucault and Frederic Jameson. I compiled stats for 3-4 books for each author, except Gladwell who has written two, and then plotted them on a scatter chart, with the y axis representing % complex words and the x axis representing words per sentence. The results were pretty fascinating:"

No comments: