Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A New Level Of Professionalism

A professional model wrote me today and enclosed a letter she received from a photographer unhappy with her non-response to a demand to shoot with her. I am not going to link this guy as his work is so bad as to be laughable, and you will have to trust me on that. Truly dreadful stuff. And his profile is just creepy...

However, he demands a response so I sent one. The model couldn't care less, she is kind of busy being, you know, a model. I thought I would share the type of stuff that makes it hard for all of us to get any respect. My response to him below.

Hi,

My name is Don Giannatti. I am a photographer here in Phoenix. I work with lots of models and have had a successful career for over 35 years. I am truly in awe of your work though. Especially how you work with talent.

A model friend of mine shared this insightful message you sent to her and I have a few questions. I hope you can take time out of your busy schedule to answer me. She can't really discuss this with me because she is laughing so hard she is crying. Models... what are ya gonna do. I will pause the letter to ask specific questions. I am doing this in hopes of duplicating your amazing success at photography.

Here is your letter to her.
"Miss _____:"

"I contacted you several weeks ago to let you know that I was interested in working with you to help you expand and develop your Portfolio and I have not heard anything at all by way of a response from you. I do have time still available to work with you but I am starting to book up so if you want to work with me I will need to set up a shoot for you soon. Also, as I indicated in my email I want to talk with you to find out what it is you need in your Portfolio and to share some ideas with you so I need you to email me and give me your availability and a telephone number where I can contact you and I need you to do it immediately."
So far so good. Sounds reasonable. You are demanding she send you her contact information. Got it.... writing that down.
"It is extremely rude, ill-mannered, and highly unprofessional to not respond to someone who has told you they will take the time and put in the effort to work with and help you."
Well, actually in the world of professionals, a non-response is a response. But you have changed that to a request is a demand. I should start DEMANDING that models send me their telephone numbers? That is so cool. You offer help and then get pissed off when they don't accept it. Wow... ok, seems a little strange to me, but hey... I'm writing that down. "...offer help... demand response...." Got it. hey, will that work on them stupid editors that don't respond to my demands to do 10 pages of editorial in Vogue? I know, you don't want to share every secret you have but I had to ask.
"It only makes you look like the complete and total amateur that I strongly suspect you are so I need to hear from you immediately."
Whoa... totally off the reservation here cowboy. That is so, well, unexpected. See if I got this right... insult the little bimbo and then ask her to contact me immediately. That works for you? Really? Well, Ok then. I call her names and then demand, oh sorry, DEMAND, that she contact me. I dunno, but if it is working for you, I'll give it a try. (You can tell I am excited here, huh?)
"If you ever have any hopes of doing anything with your so-called modeling I suggest you grow up and act like the adult you are supposed to me and display some form of manners and common courtesy and stop acting like an immature two year old."
I see now. Keep it up. Keep insulting someone you don't even know... keep them guessing how long the abuse will go on. This is great. I have always been respectful and courteous, but this new direction looks promising. Hey, they're all just stupid bimbos anyway, eh? Ha ha... dude, where were you when I was starting out! I love the 'so-called' part. Even though she is booked a ton, she doesn't measure up to your high standards. That makes her feel what? Gotta help me with that one.
"I realize that expecting much of anything from a stripper is asking a lot but I would think that even you would have the manners to ask least acknowledge my message but I guess in your case I gave you way more credit than you deserve."
Good lord man, I have known this girl for years and never knew she was a stripper. How did you ascertain that? Come on... come on... share that with me. She isn't a stripper that I know of, but you suggest that by calling her one, it will elicit a positive response so she will want to shoot with you even more? Man... this is great. To be able to pick the mind of a man of your stature... well, the internet really is a marvel of ingenuity and simply a Godsend to amateurs like me. I think I will try that next time Elite sends a model over... "hey, bitch, you must have hooker heels, you stripper you." I am writing this down.
"If you have any hopes at all of working with me I suggest you do not make me wait much longer."
The big closer huh? Trash talk the model, make her feel stupid and then subtly coerce her into actually shooting with you out of, what... grief, fear, gratitude that you didn't call her a whore, just a stripper?

Seriously man, you should write a book about how them bitches don't respect you none. You really should.

The next time a woman looks at you with a little distrust, thank this guy.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I wish I could say I was surprised by this sort of thing, but I'm not. Thanks for a good laugh, though.

Oh, and I blogged about this on my blog as well, with a link back here. Excellent opportunity to talk about professionalism.

bmillios said...

I think you should post the link to his site, so we can all go over and have an even bigger laugh.

Don said...

If I didn't dislike lawyers so much, I would go after him for liable and slander... but he is so pathetic... LOL. Love the part about telling the police that I threatened him. My God, the poor man needs help.

No reason to lay off the creep though.