Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Wow... That is Harsh...

But who cares? Harsh is what reality is. The photo editor nails it with this small comment:
A Photo Editor: "Now, I know my share of photographers who were huge in the 90’s but are now stuck making prints and books of their old famous shots to know, an acceptable style doesn’t last forever, so you’ve got two choices to make. Either pioneer a new one or get in line."
You don't really have a choice. I know so many local shooters who are simply regurgitating the same 'ol pic. Working like crazy to get something to do and then doing it with less passion than an Gubment accountant. Then when something new comes along, they poopoo it, or make fun of it.

People either fear or embrace change. Film to digital. Lots of light to minimal. Technique to concept.

Recently overheard two photographers discussing a national editorial photographer. They were deep into making fun of his technique, or their perceived lack of technique, and had labeled him a 'hacker'. They then launched into how the region really sucked and how all the AD's were morons.... Blah, blah, blah. I hear it all the time. I was tempted to interject "So what are you going to do now? All the clients you say you want to work for are morons who like this other guys work. Sounds like its time for a new career." I thought better of it though.

People fear change. People really hate meddling old farts who tell them they are screwed by their own short sightedness.

Me? I'm workin' on it. Really hard. What else can I do?

No comments: