Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Be Careful When Showcasing Your Personal Work" - Making sure it is excellent AND appropriate.

If a personal project is too controversial, you should also avoid marketing it in a commercial venue. Examples of such work include pieces that make strong political or religious statements. Such work might be more appropriate as an editorial statement or as material for your blog. Think about the old adage that tells you, in social settings, to avoid sex, religion and politics!

"Think about the old adage that tells you, in social settings, to avoid sex, religion and politics!"

Wow - I wish more twitter folks would heed that. I always have opportunities to pass on work to fellow freelancers. Knowing TOO much about their politics (and religion if it is worn on the sleeve) makes it far more difficult for me to recommend.

You may not agree with me on my political views, nor I with you. But when one side starts bashing the other side - and I may be on the receiving end side - then why the fuck would I send work to the person bashing me?

"Evil Lefties" and "Evil Righties" is simply stupid shit to say on twitter or any other social network. I know where I stand, and I am not in the business of setting other people straight on what I BELIEVE to be right.

I am a photographer and a designer. I want people to hire me to do that. Not bash Romney or Obama.

We have lost track of what we are doing in this social media shit... we really have.

No comments: