Friday, June 01, 2012

"The man who didn't love the Beatles" Well, I was never a fan. Much preferred Motown and Jazz

But, believe it or not, it's possible to be a fully developed human being and still remain indifferent to the Beatles. Or Beethoven, for that matter. Schopenhauer notwithstanding, music has never been and will never be a universal language. It is too rich for that.

When the Beatles came out, I was a die hard Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas, and Little Anthony and the Imperials guy. I had just heard a new tune by a young group of talented ladies named the Supremes.

I didn't want the music to change to what I felt was simpering guitar bands and whining, pathetic angst driven pablum.

Dave Clark Five, Hermans Hermits and the Beatles were all the same to me... soft-squishy-noguts sound. I fought hard for my beloved R&B and rock and roll, but the "British Invasion" proved too strong.

Later that summer I heard John Coltrane and Miles Davis and Ornette Coleman for the first time.

Didn't listen to pop music for the next 30 years...

Except for my wonderful Motown, the culture of the guitar didn't really interest me.

Well - there was Steely Dan, Donna Summer and Springsteen (early stuff).

But Trane was who stole my interest.

And then I heard a piece by Eliot Carter... and a whole new world opened up.

But that has nothing to do with the Beatles.

No comments: